June 4, 2012

Cy - TAST 22 & May CQJP block


Can I squeeze my reveal in here....had a busy 3-day weekend, so I wasn't around to post earlier.


TAST Week 22 Knotted Cretan Stitch

I didn't have much time to spend on this stitch this week as I've been in 'Digital Designing' mode and working in the orchard.
But that is a story for another blog post. I'll keep you in suspenders (haha) for now.

So here are two test samples for Knotted Cretan Stitch.
With the pink floss I was just playing with different stitch lengths, widths and stretches.
And with the green, well, it was meant to be a circle but I got distracted when one of the dogs decided it was time to throw an old shoe at me "oh come on mum, it must be playtime now".



CQJP May Block


I have got this block to a reasonable stopping point for now, and I'm calling it temporarily finished.
I need (at some point in the near future) to add something more to the left side because I can see that all the "weight" of embellishing is on the right, and the block is not balanced and not to my liking.....yet.

Detail pics......
Silver ribbon stitched to create a ruffle, and turquoise seed beads scattered around the folds.

Blanket Stitch half wheels in two strands of blue variegated DMC floss.

I've no idea what this is called, lol. How about "noughts and crosses".

A bit more added to my "V" exploratory seam. I like the effect of the turquoise/teal raised threads going from one 'knot' to the next. This stitch was one I made up. I think it may be something similar to the Scroll stitch, but this one is stitched differently.

Black cotton crochet scalloped edging lace, and a very short seam with detached chains, silver beads and blue French Knots.

Freeform Mandala with a shiny gold Shisha in the middle.

And my usual centre patch with a butterfly. Not one of my better butterflies I think. It looks more like a hawk-moth to me, probably because of the chunky bead body. 
I may 'frog' the green thread lines on the top as it just doesn't look 'right' to me.

So that's all for now sweet friends.
Back to work on the digital stuff for a day or two before I will allow myself time off to relax with needle and thread.

15 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice! Your shisha mandala is amazing! I'm so glad you did a close-up of the butterfly moth. Looks great to me. From a distance I thought the wings were also beads; are they bullion knots? Love the silvery beaded ruffle also! Very pretty.

ladyhawthorne said...

I like all the features! With that butterfly/moth I can see you doing a luna moth at some point.
Noughts and crosses, I like that. O's are hugs and X's are kisses, at least on a card or letter.
My favorite part is the silver ribbon ruffle with its little beads peeking out.

Debra Spincic said...

The green on the moth's body may be a bit bright--maybe add a few bright green beads to the wings (or not!)

Love the seam treatments & so happy you are trying out the stitch exploration ideas. Sheesh, that's a handsome shisha!

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Love your silver ruffle ribbon with its scattering of beads and the blanket stitch half wheels are very grand. Your detached chain with silver beads and French knots look positively jewel like especailly next to the black cotton crochet lace - please tell me you didn't make the lace? I like how your freeform mandala echoes your fabric patch and I can see you polished your shisha! The whole block is lovely.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Another winner Cy. I think my favorite is the silver beads with the blue French knots in the center. It looks like jewelry. I'm pretty fond of that gathered ribbon secured with beads too though. Nice job on the Shisha.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Sheesh Debra ~ lol.

cq4fun said...

I like the butterfly exactly as it is. I wouldn't take anything out. The whole block is beautiful, each seam treatment adding a bit more to the elegance.

Cy said...

The butterfly wings are satin stitch over thick threads for a raised effect.

Cy said...

A luna moth is probably 'do-able'.
'Hugs and kisses' is an even better name for it, lol, thanks Angela.

Cy said...

Thanks for the bead idea Debra. I am leaving it to ponder on for a while. I may get inspiration for it later.

Cy said...

Thanks Carol, and yes, I did make the black crochet lace.

Cy said...

Thanks Connie, sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.

Cy said...

Thank you Susan.

Suztats said...

Sigh. Love everything you've done here! My 2 faves- the moth and the ribbon ruffle.

Suztats said...

Ooops, the butterfly.....guess all the chat re lunas distracted me.