June 17, 2012

Barbara's May CQJP and Buttonhole Wheel



I caught up with the CQJP challenge and finished my May block.



On the blue patch I did the butterfly stitch from last month's TAST challenge.  I took out a bag of crewel embroidery thread, which I used here to tie the "butterflies."  I'll be using this more, it adds some nice texture.  I added minimal seam embellishments behind the vine, just to balance things out.




I figured out the knotted cretan stitch, shown above in coral, and embellished it with some French knots and lazy daisy stitch.  I found this birdcage in the jewelry section of a craft store, and hung it from the vine.  It's pinned in place temporarily, and I'll stitch it down when I piece the final project together.



Here's my semi-naked June CQJP block.  The cardinal print was a gift from Debra.



In stitching the buttonhole wheels, I stitched it once in a dark gold crewel thread, and then repeated the stitch over the completed wheel with a lighter gold thread.



The hand is also a jewelry component.  I'm going to figure out a way to camouflage the rings at either end of the piece.



...Some half wheels.



Not a bad start on this block.

15 comments:

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Love the cardinal! What a fantastic centerpiece. Your buttonhole wheels are super and work perfectly where you have them. You really do get a "lot of bang for your buck" with this stitch.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Deborah, I don't know where to begin. May block with its added charm is very attractive. Your June block with its Cardinal patch makes a great centre and really love the hand holding the buttonhole wheel flowers, which pick out the colour of the sunflower fabric. Everything looking good to go.

Debra Spincic said...

Well, of course, I am going to love everything you do! So far, a really fabulous start and I am sure it is because of that great cardinal!

ladyhawthorne said...

May's block is gorgeous and June's will be too! Love the helping hand.

Barbara C said...

Thanks Connie, I agree the buttonhole stitch was effortless and it looks pretty dramatic, unlike the knotted cretan I sweated over in my May block.

Barbara C said...

Thanks Carol!

Barbara C said...

I'm sure it's due to the cardinal too!

Barbara C said...

Those hands come linked together in groups of 5 or so for jewelry making. I confess I bought 3 strands of them on sale, they were so tempting.

Peacock said...

Wow, you sure know how to make every stitch look its best! I am especially fond of your blue and white bullion flower buds. I'd love to figure out how to make my bullion buds look so lovely! I also particularly like the running stitch outline around the crane-- so simple, and gives so much impact!
As for the hand charm, the ring at the wrist doesn't bother me much, but if I wanted to hide it, I'd probably try whipping over the whole ring with a thread color to match the ground fabric. The ring at the fingertips, though! That's a whole 'nother matter! What was the designer thinking? ... It looks almost like her fingertips are curled around and holding something--my first thought was to disguise it as a magnifying glass (but I couldn't figure out how to do that), so then I thought maybe it could be the stem and center of a flower, just add petals all around?
I hope you find a solution that pleases you! The hand charm and the bird charm are both delightful additions to your work!

Cy said...

A delightful May block. The layout of the vine and seam stitches really lead the viewers eye around the block. It's great to take everything in and then go around again and find more to interest me. And gotta love those double layered buttonhole wheels on the June block. And (just to poke Debra in the ribs) I love the pigeon on there more than the cardinal :p

Suztats said...

Wow! May looks fabulous, and I really like the bird charm. Everything leads your eye around the whole block.
I love how June looks--your double wheels are a great idea, and all your stitching is precise. The red cardinal really pops against the chartreuse.

Debra Spincic said...

You do not! The cardinal is clearly the Star!

Debra Spincic said...

Can you nip the rings off with some pliers?

cq4fun said...

Love the overlapping. It looks so wonderful, and blends the colors beautifully.

Marie Costa said...

Really, really beautiful idea to use the bird fabrics as block centers. So beautiful! And exquisite stitching.