June 10, 2012

Angela: TAST Catch Up Week

Since I didn't need to actually catch up on anything I decided to try out what others have been playing with.  Shisha Work!
This was a fun little project and very freeing since it was so random.  I used some pearl cotton but mostly 6 strands of floss, incorporating lazy daisy, french knot, straight, stem and cross stitches with a silk ribbon bow.
The 'mirrors' are some large gold plastic sequins/spangles that are flat and some heavy scrap book paper with silver, gold and copper finishes.  I actually tacked my mirrors in place first with a couple of regular thread stitches near the edges.  That might be cheating but it made it easier for me and the shisha stitching hid it.

I didn't choose a historical event this week, but in case you would like one... Houston, TX was incorporated in the Republic of Texas on June 5, 1837.  You did know Texas is the only state that was once it's own country, right?


13 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Oh shoot, I would have liked to see what you did with Houston!

Very pretty Shisha bouquet!!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Beautiful Shisha bouquet. BTW, what we don't see isn't cheating. Really nice colors and finishing on these. You could have made the yellow rose of Texas, but these aren't roses and aren't all yellow so I guess that is ruled out. I'm just sayin'

ladyhawthorne said...

Ok, they can be Texas wildflowers. Sunflowers, Indian paintbrush, buttercups....sorry, no bluebonnets, they have all faded now that it's hot.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

What a magnificent shisha display and especially like the ones with the French knots. They are all so very eye catching.

Cy said...

I bow to you, oh Queen of Shisha.

This is a fabulous posy of shisha flowers Angela, and excellent creativity.

Judy S. said...

Awesome bouquet! Looks like you've mastered the shisha!

Barbara C said...

Beautiful! What a cheerful bouquet, and what great stitching!

Mary-Frances Main said...

ADORE! I really have never mastered shisha - you're an inspiration! :)

ladyhawthorne said...

I had to watch the video of Erica Wilson several times to get it, but once I did it seemed to fall into place without thinking.

Debra Spincic said...

We are waiting for your samples! It's a buttonhole + chain stitch around a circle. You can do it!

Debra Spincic said...

Same here.

Suztats said...

I love your shisha bouquet!

Peacock said...

Gorgeous shisha bouquet!! I love all the variety you managed to create with your flower petals. :)