June 24, 2012

Angela ~ Cable Chain Stitch


This was a pretty easy stitch that went quickly.  I used 6 strands of silver metallic thread and 6 strands of black cotton floss for the 2 areas of cable chains.  I was originally going to use just the metallic but as much as I had to fight with it to do the small amount you see, I decided it was not going to happen to use it for all the chains.
I worked the border as a broken chain for obvious reasons as you will see below.
My subject this week turned out to be very serendipitous.  Tuesday was June 19th, known as Juneteenth hereabouts.  It's hard to read the embroidery in the photo so here's what it says:
The Emancipation Proclamation took effect Jan. 1, 1863 but it had very little effect on slaves lives in the Confederate States of America.
JUNETEENTH
Commemorates June 18 & 19, 1865
On the 18th, Union General G. Granger and 2000 Federal troops arrived at the port of Galveston, Texas to take possession of the state and enforce emancipation. On the 19th the General stood on the balcony of the Ashton Villa to read the General Order No. 3.
You can visit my blog to read the order and see a photo of the lovely Ashton Villa in Galveston.
This symbol I used is an anti-slavery design.  The more familiar one is of a man and carries the motto 'Am I not a man and a brother?"  This one, used less widely is of a woman and her motto is "Am I not a woman and a sister?"  I thought it more appropriate for a woman's embroidery journal. 


11 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I've been reading the Gee's Bend quilt book again and it's so poignant. It's not about slavery, per se, but the ties are so strong to slavery. For women, they were also enslaved by men & gender circumstances. It's such a tough history.

Excellent journal page, Angela.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Another wonderful and valuable theme for this week. Your stitching is done so well. The silver chain of bondage looks perfect and I'm not sure I would have liked it as the border as well as I do the black. Really nice work Angela.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Your subject matter to showcase the weekly TAST stitches is so very original and I so admire your wonderfully neat stitching.

ladyhawthorne said...

I think the photos make it look neater than it really is. And I never show the back because it's always messy!

Debra Spincic said...

:-)

Cy said...

Excellent creativity on the cable chain Angela. Isn't it amazing how everyone has come up with a completely different way to use just this one stitch.
Juneteenth is new to me. I agree that the broken cable chain works so well for this theme.

Suztats said...

Juneteenth is new to me, too. The broken chain really illustrates the subject matter. wonderful stitching. Thanks for my history class. I do enjoy learning something new each week.

Judy S. said...

Very interesting, Angela! Great job stitching all those words; I can only imagine how long that took. Perfect use of this stitch, too! Just found out yesterday that our local art museum is hosting a display of quilts that sound similar to Gee's Bend. It's on my list......

Barbara C said...

Great matching of the stitch to the subject matter of your piece. I hadn't realized that there was also the image of a woman used in this symbol. Powerful work.

cq4fun said...

What a wonderful piece of history you've included with this one. I think the chains are very appropriately used here. It's amazing how each thing you've done has been enhanced by the stitch that sparked it.

Peacock said...

I'm glad you ended up using black for the (broken) cable chain border around your emancipation piece! I think that it helps highlight the silver chain in the center and draws your eye to the subject and gives the subject more strength. I am absolutely stunned at how many wonderful historical topics you come up with, and how well you pair each topic to the stitch!