June 17, 2012

Angela: Buttonhole Wheels

I chose to use the buttonhole wheels as a lacy doily effect in a border for a round image.  I was watching a program as I sewed and my stitches got progressively wider.  I've got to either pay more attention or measure out and mark.  I'm not usually one for marking so I guess I need to pay more attention!  I did make a pencil line for the half circles using a thread spool or they would have all been different sizes.
*
My event from history this week was the debut of Sonny & Cher on American Bandstand on June 12, 1965.  I didn't really get into their music until much later, I was only 6 in June of 1965.   I was a huge fan of their variety show in the '70s though.  This design is the logo that formed the backdrop for the show, they were orange circles with black outlines.  I was stuck with the white background fabric and it was just not right so I used my prismacolors to fill in the missing colors.
I think it turned out pretty good!  I'm really liking the texture the aida cloth gave to the colored area and may use this technique in the future.  I love prismacolor pencils as you can layer the colors for blending which is what I did to get the orange the right color.
You can see my test area in the selvedge.  I knew the orange I had was too bright and too red.  First I tried it with the orange put down first and the yellow on top, still too red.  Then I used the yellow with the orange on top and it was perfect.  The yellow was done pretty strongly and the orange was like a light top coat to achieve the right tone.


17 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Sure beats cross stitching that entire background!

Another cool page in your journal. Loved their variety show too.

Suztats said...

Aren't the prisma pencils fun?! I was a Sonny & Cher fan in their early years, but I was too busy with little ones to watch their variety show very often. I do remember the navel uproar, though.
Nice wheels.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Nice use of the half wheels surrounding the image. My spacing changes when I am completely focussed on what I'm doing, so if you did this watching a show I am very impressed. I was a fan from early on also and loved their 'vamp/tramp' variety show. I have a very good friend who does an unbelievable Cher impression (and my friend is not a guy like many of Cher's impressionists). She can even sing like Cher and makes her own costumes. I will have to remember your prisma pencil solution!

ladyhawthorne said...

I always wished I could sing like Cher, or Linda Ronstadt.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

You've impressed yet again, lovely work, will have to check out the Prisma pencils.

Debra Spincic said...

Angela, do you have a link you can share for the pencils?

ladyhawthorne said...

I buy mine at Hobby Lobby in the art supply dept. Any art/craft supply store should have them.
Here's the manufacturer site: http://www.prismacolor.com/products/colored-pencils
And Dick Blick: http://www.dickblick.com/products/prismacolor-colored-pencils/
You can find them on Amazon.com and Ebay.com too.

Debra Spincic said...

Thanks. Carol, does this help?

Cy said...

A very nice step back in history. I remember my older siblings doing the Sonny & Cher 'thing'.
Love your 'before & after' shots Angela. What a difference the Prisma makes.
Your buttonhole wheel frame is fabulous. What a great use for the stitch. Very elegant.

Carol Neale-Broughton said...

Angela, do you brush over the pencil colouring with water?

Barbara C said...

Another great piece and another great choice of subjects. It's interesting how that logo is so impressed on our collective memory.

Peacock said...

Another hit right out of the ballpark. You are amazing! I love my Berol Prismacolors! I haven't tried using them on fabric very often-- I've been afraid that they'd wash out or run if they got wet. But I guess with art quilts I shouldn't be so constrained in my thinking! It's a wonderful effect. At first I thought you'd used a thin thread and tent stitch or half-crosses to make the shading. Thank you for showing us the process behind the coloring! It turned out great.

Peacock said...

I buy my prismacolors at my local Michaels craft store when they run one of their 40 percent off coupons! ;)

ladyhawthorne said...

No I don't use water, they just blend very nicely depending on how much pressure you apply. You can also use a blending stick which is a stick created of tightly wrapped paper, sold in art supply stores.

ladyhawthorne said...

After spending hours doing the background on the Coke page I wanted something a bit faster. Since this is a journal and won't be washed the prismacolor should do fine. There are several prismacolor products, some you can use a wet brush to manipulate. Mine are just regular prismacolor colored pencils. The 'lead' is hard enough to write or color with but still considered very soft, you have to be careful when sharpening them, I've found an electric sharpener works best but mine died.

cq4fun said...

Oooh, la! I love it! I was very interested in the yellow and orange experiments you did. I recognized Sonny and Cher right away.

Judy S. said...

Very fun! I was gone during this posting period but just had to check to see what you came up with....wasn't a bit disappointed either. Thanks, too, for the Prisma pencils idea. At first glance I thought you'd cross stitched that area. Neat idea. Have to check it out.