Here is the whole project so far:
Some new details: the center motif is started, and in the lower right, you can see a piece of crochet work I've added, held down by ribbon and with a ribbon and French knot flower in the middle:
I've used the wheatear stitch as a motif:
And added another button motif:
When I finish the border motifs, I'll attach batting and a back, and then sew on beads and buttons in various places as a way to do the "quilting." I'll stitch in the ditch with clear thread around each block at the border, and hope that will be enough to keep the piece from sagging. So I'm seeing the end in sight!