February 19, 2012
Barbara's Week 7: Detached Chain
My little block is filling up pretty quickly.
This week I used the detached chain stitch (aka Lazy Daisy) to make silk ribbon leaves for my tree. I had originally filled it in with perle cotton leaves, but they didn't show up against the busy background, so I pulled out the heavy artillery. I didn't take out the original stitches, but just sewed right over them, and that worked out fine.
Like I have done with other accent motifs, I traced this little owl from an old embroidery book onto some tear-away stabilizer and stitched through it.
The bird in the central panel got a few accent stitches, and I added a gold spider web. My spider blends a bit too much into its leaf, so I'll add some outline in a contrasting color. My double herringbone stitches got some green buttons, and I added more herringbone stitches and French knots next to the butterfly.
The middle of the block got some dark green buttonhole stitch and some red lazy daisy blooms.
I'm planning to embellish the two short seams to the right of the tree, and to add some foliage to the left side of the tree. Then I think this block's done. Onward to the next block!