January 1, 2012
Barbara's Tentative Beginnings
Hi All, I have some tentative beginnings on my St. Francis piece. I have a lingering flu that I can't shake, so I haven't gotten as much done as I'd hoped, but I feel like I have enough to begin. I transferred this image of St. Francis onto a hankie, which is basted onto a 15 inch square of fabric. I may later swap this out for another transfer onto a napkin, as I'm not thrilled with the resolution of the image. We'll see.
I pulled a lot of my block fabrics from my stash of suit samples. Most of the fabrics in this bin are silk, linen and blends.
Here's the palette of fabrics, augmented with some cottons.
Here's where I'm going with the composition. The white background under the hankie is a flexible border where I can add embroidery or trim, and also play with the size of the blocks.
This is my favorite block so far. I'm going for a wildflowers and birds theme. These are 8 inch (unfinished) blocks.
The textured fabrics are meant to suggest a rustic feel.
I also stopped piecing new blocks because I felt like they were coming out too similar. I will likely go back and add a couple of additional pieces to some of these blocks to give them more variety, especially the one on the left here.
I also picked up a couple of fat quarters on Friday: more birds, and some sunflowers on a red background. I want a few hits of red in the composition, to balance that crane on the red background.
Before I forget, please come to my regular blog and see the Madonna piece I finished last week.