I used a buttonhole stitch with a varied length for the horizon line back-stitching for the derrick in 6 strand floss and both buttonhole and back-stitching for the oil spurting up.
For the oil and the words I used 1 strand of black and one strand of brown Balger blending filament as it has a sheen and a copper color running through it. You probably can't see it in the photos as it is very subtle.
You might see some reddish lines, they were from the dressmaker's transfer paper I tried using to mark the design. It does not work on Aida cloth as its too bumpy. I ended up using the old-fashioned method of rubbing the back of the design with pencil and tracing it, using clear packing tape over the paper so it would not shred as I had to press down fairly hard. The red will wash out.
More on why I chose this design on my blog.