December 4, 2011

Greetings from Barbara


Hi Everyone!  I'm very excited to be joining this group and these challenges for 2012.  I'm a mostly self-taught life-long stitcher.  I've quilted for the last 10 years, and I embroider (I did the last TAST challenge and took one of Sharon's classes), crochet, and I'm an obsessive knitter.

In all my needlework, I like to reuse and recycle materials.  Vintage linens are one of my passions, and I like to use vintage handkerchiefs and napkins as the basis of image transfers.  I have a series of Madonna quilts that I made in collaboration with Debra, and I'm branching out to some of my favorite saints, like St. Therese, above.

For my 2012 piece I'm going to make crazy blocks to surround an image of St. Francis of Assisi.  There is a story about Francis preaching a sermon to birds, and so I'm going to incorporate a lot of bird images into the blocks.

In my non-stitching life I'm a full-time college professor--I teach literature, ethnic, and women's studies.  I'm 6 months into a new marriage to Michael, and I have two grown children.  My daughter is a cook in a high-end restaurant, and my son works in a crisis and transitional housing program for youth.  Mostly because of my job, I can be slow to post and respond, but I'll do my best not to get too far behind.

14 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

So glad you are joining us, Barbara! You are going to like the gals and the projects here, for sure!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Welcome to the group. So far it has been very inspirational. It is a great group of ladies!

Jane said...

Hi Barbara, I've folloowed you on and off through different cyber adventures on line. I know you and Debra have done some collaborations in the past. I love your visions for this challenge, St Francis as your inspiration leaves lots of variety to include in your piece. So good to see you here apart from the busy life you lead. Wow, and congrats on your marriage!

ladyhawthorne said...

St. Therese is lovely and I can hardly wait to see St Francis start. He's one of my favorite saints. Welcome into our group!

sophie said...

Barbara, I love your idea.

Suztats said...

Hi Barbara! It's so nice to meet you, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you, and to watch your quilt develop.

Cy said...

Great to meet you Barbara, and lovely to hear about your CQ theme.
I expect you've already thought about using the Assisi embroidery on your piece to help tie in with St Francis.
I look forward to seeing your CQ taking shape.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Cy, what is Assisi embroidery? I don't quite have the lingo down yet.

Cy said...

It's a variation of cross-stitch where you (traditionally) only use one colour, and only stitch the background and leave the design/picture without stitches. A bit like stitching the "negative" part of a positive/negative photo.

Cy said...

Connie, just discovered it is also called Voided work.
http://www.bayrose.org/AandS/images/VoidedWk.JPG

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Thanks Cy. I had heard the term before and have meant to look it up but just didn't get around to it. Too busy blogging I guess. I will check out the link later. I'm trying to piece my blocks now. Which came first, the blogging or the stitching? Right now the stitching needs to~lol

Barbara C said...

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Cy said...

Barbara, I have just had a closer look at your Madonna panel above, and the stitching detail is absolutely gorgeous. I love what you did to the printed flowers, and the subtle emphasis of her halo.
Beautiful bead work.

Suztats said...

I'm so glad you mentioned that, Cy, because it made me stop and take a closer look, too. Beautiful work!