December 5, 2011

Cy: Digital Designing

I mentioned in a previous comment somewhere here that I would "play" with my Photoshop program  to sort out how best to set my blocks. Debra asked me to show what I do here so you can share in my thought process. So here it is:-


 Throughout these designs I have used a photo of just the one block that I have made as a test block. You may notice that I have ripped out the gold triangle from my 1st trial, and replace it with black & whites. I am now happy with how it looks.


1. 16 repeats of the same block were added to my 'page'.




2. Then the individual blocks are randomly turned and/or flipped..



3. A particular design arrangement.(I like the "windmill" effect)



4. Another design arrangement.


5. And yet another placement with a stronger focal point



To recreate any or all of the above designs I would have to use paper-foundation-piecing to get each block exactly the same.
Although I like doing paper-foundation-piecing, I'm not really wanting to do it for this project. So I shall use the random design idea (#2) above and just pretend that each block is different.


Next I wanted to see if I like the teal/blue colour addition or not. So I played with the colour controls a bit.






Some of these colours may not look quite natural (thats probably because they are digitally created, lol) but this is just an exercise to finding out what way I move forward on my CQ.

So that's as far as I have got on my 'digital' CQ.

10 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Definitely a cool exercise but I will agree, more like patchwork and less like crazy quilt so not sure that is worth the effort.

I thought I might like the teal and black together but now I'm not so sure (this from a woman who lives and dresses in teal and blue). It may be different, as you say, in reality.

ladyhawthorne said...

This is a cool idea Cy, I really like the pinwheel effects you get too.

Peacock said...

I, too, love using my digital software to help me plan projects. I don't have Photoshop, but I get by pretty well with PhotoImpact.
One thing that I really like to do is to scan a block of each of the fabrics that I am considering using and save each as a JPG that I can then use to "color" my quilt block as desired with "actual fabric" rather than with a solid computer fill.
I either draw blank quilt blocks by hand and then scan them in to my computer or I draw them directly in my computer software-- just the patch outlines, no color.
Then I use selection tools and mask mode to cut each patch shape in one of the fabric samples I've stored in jpg.
Does this make sense? If I need to be more specific, let me know and I'll do my best. :)

Cy said...

All said and done, I think I prefer the black and white version too Debra, haha.
I'll probably go ahead though and make up another sample block using my teals and then re-assess the situation.

Cy said...

Angela. Another day, another project, lol. I think I'd quite like to make up some of the other designs above for bed quilts for my boys. But that will have to wait till after 2012 hey!

Cy said...

Peacock, I usually work that way too, but this time I was too lazy to plug my scanner in ;)

Yes, I understand your description fine, as Photoshop works with masks etc too.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I used this technology for stained glass. I imported images of the actual glass from vendors online to use so I could get a better likeness of the final product. I never thought of it for CQ. You have come up with some really interesting arrangements. I do think it looks better without the brown/gold. I don't think the teal (or some other color) is a bad thing though, by the time you add stitching and embellishing I think it would add interest.

Suztats said...

This is a cool idea. I'm impressed by this, and really like the look it provides for planning the layout. Digital software and I haven't met yet, lol. What a lot of options!

Debra Spincic said...

As Connie said, we can't discount the impact thread colors and embellishments are going to have on our compositions. You could easily turn this into a dominantly teal wallhanging with just the thread and embellishments.

There are so many decisions to make in CQ!

Jane said...

I've never used any quilt design software either. This could become highly addictive! Being able to see the big picture without having to make a block makes this especially worthwhile. I see "modern" all over this but would have to agree that the black, grey , white would allow for more color with the threads. The pattern choices of the fabric sure offer lots of places for embellishment overlay. Where are you at with it now, Cy?