December 10, 2011

Angela: Idea for my TAST Journal

I knew I wanted to make a fabric journal for TAST with one page for each week.  I have lots of even-weave linen I picked up at a thrift shop and I have 5 boxes and a basket of various embroidery thread.  Not to mention about 20 containers of beads.  So I should not need to buy anything.
I've been playing around with design ideas in my head.  I wanted to make the journal artsy and colorful but not be locked in to one style.  I wanted it to be meaningful to me as well as being something I could refer to in the future.  I don't like to plan things to death but I figured I had better have some sort of idea where I was heading so I didn't spend the 1st half of each week thinking about the design before I got to stitching.
I have decided that each Tuesday will have its own theme.  I'm looking at events, birthdays, saint's days, etc. in history and am choosing one for each week that is meaningful to me in some way.  How each design will be worked out will probably be different each week depending on what stitch we are given.  
It sounds a bit nebulous but at least it's a direction! 

9 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Angela, how big are your pages going to be? This sounds like a great idea of personilizing the weeks and getting a very special book in the end. I'm sure your mind is full of all the possiblities you could include in this through this idea.

Debra Spincic said...

I was going to ask the same about the size--if it was a decent size, you could do an image transfer as a themed patch and then work around it.

ladyhawthorne said...

Not sure on size yet but no bigger than 8½ x 11. It needs to be manageable.
I'm playing with the idea of shapes of things and those shapes being filled in with stitches, or outlining, or........we'll have to see.

Debra Spincic said...

8½ x 11 is a big space for a weekly stitching session. We are doing roughly that amount of space in my beginner's group for the entire month of stitches.
What about 4 weekly smaller "canvases" attached to a large monthly page?

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Angela, I can't wait to see how it all comes together. I like Debra's idea of an image transfer each week and working around it. It would be like a journal as you described. Sounds like fun.

Cy said...

I like your idea to have a theme running through the whole journal.
Lucky you having all that stash to dive into.

ladyhawthorne said...

Ok, I'm looking at fabric and thinking of the size for pages. Since it is even-weave linen and the count is high I think I will probably go with 6 x 8 inches. That will give me room for a 1 inch blank border around the page, plenty of room to decide how to bind it together. I need to look at book-binding info again. I thought each page should be 2 sided meaning 2 pieces of fabric with a stiffener in between. The fabric pages should be rectangular making 2 actual pages they way they are in a real book made of paper, sewn together down the spine. This means I really need to plan this out so the pages with dates fall in line properly. I like a good challenge and this will stretch me for sure. The stitching will be the easy part!
Cy, I really did luck into the linen. All of a sudden one of my favorite thrift shops had all kinds of historical sampler patterns and as I was perusing other stuff I found a whole box of linen in various pale colors, brand new. With original price tags still attached. One piece was labeled over $50. I could never make myself spend that much on one piece of linen so an angel was definitely watching over me. I got the whole box for $20-25. Sadly I think someone had passed away and no one in the family wanted the stuff but I hope the lady is watching from up above and knowing it is going to good use.

Debra Spincic said...

6 x 8 sounds much better!

jenclair said...

I'm still debating over 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 blocks. I've already played with the 4 x 4 on linen, but still haven't decided which for TAST. I do want to have more than one stitch per block, so larger may be better.

I like your themes. I've debated on themes, too, but haven't come up with anything for sure, but symbols or text keep coming back to the forefront.