November 28, 2011

Introduction: Suz

Hi everyone!
I'm Suz  and so happy to be a part of this group. I'll be doing TAST as well as the CQPJ 2012 this year, and hope I can keep up with you. I'm also signed up for some courses on StitchMap in the New Year, so I hope I haven't taken on too much. But you'll all be available to prod, inspire, and give me a kick in the butt when I need it, right?  lol
I retired in November 2005 due to health reasons, and have been living in the woods beside a lake ever since we built our home here, on the footprint of the family cottage, in 2006. We are the only year-round residents on the lake, so we're a little isolated, and rely on satellite for our internet and telephone. That can sometimes present connection problems, so, if I disappear for a while, it's not me--it's the satellite.
I'm an artist and paint in watercolors, oils, and acrylics. I love needlework and have tried many, and look forward to trying more. I knit a little, needle tat, embroider, sew, bead, cross-stitch,  and hope to teach myself to crochet this winter, as well as improve my other needle skills. If it takes a needle, then I want to learn how to do it! I caught the CQ bug a year and a half  ago when the Online Tatting Class did a tatting quilt square project. I was hooked! In CQ I can bring all my interests to play and create something unique. I've done a few 1:1 CQ block swaps, some ATC swaps, as well as swapping some fabric postcards. I've been having fun, and look forward to more.
My plan is to make Christmas themed blocks from the Christmas fabrics I collected several years ago. I've been wanting to make a table runner for some time, so some of the blocks may find their way there. I haven't yet decided whether or not I'll be combining both projects together, or if I'll prefer to keep a separate book for TAST. No doubt some new stitches will find their way onto the blocks.
I live with DH, and a black lab, Cody. Our son and daughter are both adults living with their partners, and DD just blessed us with our first grandchild, a little girl. Unfortunately, they live halfway round the world, so we can't visit often.
It's been fun reading all about each other, and I look forward to working with you to improve my skills and knowledge. Stitch on!
Hugs from Suz

10 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

I can see how important a group study will be for you. I am anxious to see how you combine your tatting with the embroidery!

Cy said...

Oh yippee!! another artist/crafter/needleworker.
This is sure going to be a great study group.
I'm a bit isolated here on the farm too Suz, so I'm sure we can help support each other in our quieter moments.

Suztats said...

Hi Debra. I have a few pics on my blog of CQ's I've done with tatting. It adds a different look to the work, and, as I'm not always a traditiional tatter, often something unique.
I am looking forward to making new friends and finding lots of inspiration in our group.

Suztats said...

Hi Cy! It's nice to meet another isolated artist/crafter/needleworker! I think being so isolated and not having local people to create with makes us all the appreciative of a study group, and the interaction it will provide. I'm excited by all the possibilities!

Debra Spincic said...

Is tatting difficult? I have some of the tools and maybe even an instruction booklet. I looks fascinating and who would think of 'freeform' tatting. But, why not?

Suztats said...

I needle tat Debra, and I've been told that it is easier than shuttle tatting, but has a slightly larger look to it. Shuttle tatting is more the norm, and there are lots of online groups and youtube vids to help people learn how to do both. Like any skill, it does take some time to learn, but I picked up the very basics of needle tatting in a 2-hour class. If you let me know which you'd like to learn, I can give you some additional info.

ladyhawthorne said...

My great aunt used to shuttle tat. I love your tree, that's wonderful. So nice to meet you.

Suztats said...

Thanks LadyHawthorne! The tree is a free-form tatting of my original pattern I designed for International Tatting Day 2010. It looks rather like an acacia tree, I've been told. I'm so glad you like it! My paternal grandmother used to shuttle tat, too, but I was too young to appreciate it at the time.

Jane said...

Hi Suz, you'll have lots to share with us. I especially love how we share "living in the woods"... fortunately I have a good ISP, lol. Great to meet you!

Suztats said...

Hi Jane! Lucky you with a good ISP! I lost my connection once today due to the snow. I live on a hill surrounded by rocky hills and trees, so it doesn't help much with the signal.....;-(
such is life lol
I'm so looking forward to the interactions with our group. Nice to meet you, too.