November 27, 2011

Introduction: Deborah

Hello, I'm Deborah.

I've been playing with the notion of making a crazy quilt incorporating photographs for a long time. Like many of my projects, it's been difficult to get it started. Usually I hold back waiting for all the perfect things to come together. I've decided that's not going to happen and if I want to get this made I'd better just jump in and get going. So when I saw the CCJP and TAST challenges, I thought it would be the perfect impetus to kick start my idea. I'm going to work with 8" squares, I think. That will probably be the smallest I can make and use the photos I have printed.

I'm mostly a self-taught sewer, crocheter, knitter, and quilter. Although my mother's sisters (six of them) all did one or more of those things, and may have shown me the basics at an early age,  I pretty much took it from there.  What I like about those crafts these days is the limitless possibilities for creative expression they provide. There are no rules! And since I do all of those mostly to please myself, it is a very satisfying and relaxing way to express myself creatively. It's a big reason I would not want to do any of this - sew, quilt, knit - for money (been there, tried that).

So I'm looking forward to forging new friendships here, comparing notes, and learning a lot.  I absolutely love handwork and embroidery, and here is where I want to perfect - well, improve - those skills. As my blog, Wednesday Quilter says, my stitiching and quilting projects keep me from going insane in a world that seems to be spinning out of control sometimes. Sort of like covering your ears and humming American the Beautiful. :-)

This should be a fun and exciting year. I can't wait to see how it develops.

~~Deborah

6 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

We are going to keep you on task! Plus, I am anxious to see your family photos come to life with CQ.

jenclair said...

Debra is going to have her work cut out with us! Can't wait to see how your photographs work into your project.

Cy said...

Hi Deborah, yes, 2012 is going to be a busy and exciting year for us.
Doing both the TAST & CQJP challenges will certainly give you the perfect opportunity for creative expression.
I look forward to seeing what develops.

Suztats said...

Hi Deborah! This should be a wonderful year ahead, and I look forward to getting to know you better, and be able to look over your shoulder, as it were, watching you bring your photos to life on your quilt.

ladyhawthorne said...

This will surely be a fun year, everyone has such great ideas!

Jane said...

Hi there Deborah... I've always loved the idea of using personal photos and images in CQ. I too use sewing as a sanity giver. My life gives me lots of those "covering my ears and humming loud" moments. I can tell we'll hit it off!