November 28, 2011

Introduction: Cy

 

Hi, I am Cy   (short for Cyra). 
I live near Auckland in New Zealand.


I mostly work in mixed-media textiles and paintings, combining whatever techniques will give me the effect and textures that I am looking for.

My style at the moment is modern/contemporary, but in textiles I love to add a twist of traditional style too. I learned many types of stitching by watching my seamstress mother in her sewing occupation. I soon found that when practicing these techniques for myself that I was most happy when breaking the rules. Rules are there for breaking, right!

I also learned the foundations of quilting and designing in a year long City & Guilds course in the UK. That was a real eye-opener and allowed me to explore my creative side. I have not stopped exploring since, although I have changed direction a couple of times, my most recent adventures being in yarn, thread and fleece.

For the challenge, I am joining in both the TAST and the CQJP. Both these challenges complement each other and I shall be using some of the stitches as embellishment on a CQ wall hanging in a particular colour scheme that I have never used before (that is an extra challenge to myself). I also envisage using the TAST challenge stitches on another piece that will, hopefully, satisfy my “free form” and mixed media yearning. I am, predominantly, a hand-stitcher by choice, so I can see these challenges taking up quite a bit of my time.

I have taken early retirement from my occupation as a paint and home decorating advisor, and I now enjoy spending more time at home on our hobby-farm, enjoying the good life with my DH, 2 sons (both Uni students) 3 dogs and a collection of waifs, strays and wildlife.

I look forward to taking this journey with you all (and sharing the high’s and low’s) as we discover exactly what we have let ourselves in for.

7 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Hi Cy,
I see you are rocking your quilt vest!
Happy to have you join us. It's going to be fun having a wide range of talents and skills amongst us. I'm sure I will enjoy your freeform work.

jenclair said...

Yes, I like that vest, too!

Cy said...

Thank you Debra and Jen, glad you like my celestial vest. I might have to "tone down" those bright yellow squares on the Seminole patchwork though, not sure if it works or not. They certainly are the eye-catcher though.

Debra Spincic said...

Back in the 1980s I did a lot of seminole patchwork clothes. It was a great technique and really used the math skills! At the time I lived in OKlahoma & the OK Seminole Indians actually used the technique on their ceremonial clothes.

Suztats said...

I'm eager to see more of your freeform work, Cy. I'm off to check out your blog.

ladyhawthorne said...

This is such an arty group, I love it. Everyone is bringing different forms of art and needlework to it.

Jane said...

Hi Cy, so nice to meet you. I've always had an interest in Austrailia, especialy the flora, fauna and mystery of it all. I look forward to hearing about your hobby farm and especially your 2012 stitching. See you again soon!